Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I Have a Dream

Easily one of the greatest Americans of all time, let alone the 20th century, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. fought for what he believed in, equality and freedom for all. His policies of peaceful protest and civil disobedience were very key towards his success. His "I Have a Dream" speech is one of the most famous in all of history, and is often quoted still. His death is one of the greatest tragedies in American history. One can't help but wonder how much more he could have accomplished had he lived a longer life. He is one man that I can truly say I would love to have had the respect of.

Like the great Martin Luther King Jr. I too have a dream, one that I truly believe he would have shared.
I dream of the day where colour truly doesn't matter. Where race, sex, or age are just descriptions not qualifiers.
I have a dream of an America where all men are truly created equal. Where how a person does things matters more than what they do for a living. Where equality will be earned on moral grounds, not enforced by government regulations.
I have a dream that my children will not be shackled in debt to big government. That they will be free of oppression from all levels of government, especially any foreign one. Where their fellow man will be willing to work beside them to build this great country called America; not destroy it with excessive government programs, high taxation, and foreign debt.
I have a dream that America will be ruled by morality, justice and law; not by taxation, tyranny, and political correctness.
I have a dream that politicians won't be industry and special interests' bought puppets, but men and women of moral character that felt the call to public service to improve the country for all Americans. People who believe in American exceptionalism and will bring America back to being the single world leader in everything.

1 comment:

  1. As I've said (and written, like on my site) many times, racism isn't really about skin color or even race; it is, rather, about the culture and the behavior that is - rightly or wrongly, fairly or unfairly - associated with the race. Therefore, a world without racism would be one in which any human behavior or belief that you could name would be equally likely among all races. Therefore, a world without racism would be a very boring world indeed (but not because it doesn't have racism.)

    I, too, admire King, and his greatest feat was that he was able to touch and influence the multitudes of people he touched without succumbing to becoming a rabble-rouser. Everyone can learn from that, though it's unfortunate the so many - of various ideological persuasions - do not learn from King's example.

    ReplyDelete