Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Calm Down About Bachmann

Between writing articles today, about various things, a headline on Facebook caught my attention. "Michele Bachmann must immediately step down", with an added bit about how she took Swiss citizenship. My curiosity thus awakened, I saved it in my bookmarks, finished the article I was on, and then went to read.

What I found was an article by Lori Stacey, on the Examiner. It was a clearly angry, semi well thought, rant against Bachmann. The gist of it was that Bachmann is a traitor, and whilst I didn't see mentions of tar and feathering, I definitely got the feeling Stacey left that out because it didn't cross her mind.

Then I did a really silly thing. I continued on to look up what actually happened. You see Bachmann didn't seek out Swiss citizenship for herself. Shocker!

In reality, Marcus Bachmann (Michele's husband) filed for dual citizenship, for himself. As his parents moved to the US, from Switzerland, after getting married and then raising their family in Wisconsin, he was eligible for it. Michele and their three youngest children (the older two have to apply on their own), received dual citizenship, based on Swiss law that automatically gives it to spouses and minors.

As Bachmann spokesperson Becky Rogness said, "Congresswoman Bachmann's husband is of Swiss descent, so she has been eligible for dual-citizenship since they got married in 1978. However, recently some of their children wanted to exercise their eligibility for dual-citizenship so they went through the process as a family."

Michele Bachmann has not in any way officially switched her allegiance to Switzerland. She did not seek out Swiss citizenship for herself. That her family visits there should not be a big deal. Thoughts forbid that the Bachmann family be forbidden from visiting family, and seeing when their ancestry came from. The horror of such. Should we start an outcry if she leaves Minnesota to visit family in Wisconsin?

To Lori Stacey, and everyone else I've seen demanding Bachmann step down over this: Please! Stop being so ridiculous. This isn't even an actual issue. There are lots more things that actually matter, that are of great and significant importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment