Sunday, May 6, 2012

George Lindsey; Dead at 83

George Lindsey, the actor who made Goober Pyle famous, has died at the age of 83.

Born in Alabama, he graduated college in 1952 and then served in the Air Force for three years. He then went to acting school and was on Broadway. Lindsey would go on to appear on many TV shows and in some movies, including voicing for Disney.

But it was his portrayal of Goober for which he was, and will always be, remembered by the public. Lindsey played the character of Goober from 1964-1968 on The Andy Griffith Show, 1968-1971 on Mayberry RFD, and on Hee Haw from 1971-1993.


During an interview in 1985 he said, "America has grown up with me. Goober is every man; everyone finds something to like about ol' Goober. There's a residual effect of knowing I've made America laugh. I'm not the only one, but I've contributed something."


No comments:

Post a Comment