Thursday, July 12, 2012

I-225 Light Rail Approved

Plans to extend the RTD light rail up I-225 through Aurora were approved Tuesday night.

Currently the rail ends at Parker Road, but the new plans would add ten and a half miles to it, bringing it through Aurora to I-70.

Colorado's light rail has been massively successful and popular, as it allowed for easier access to downtown Denver.

Several other extensions have been added since the main line began, with plans to eventually connect Ft. Collins, Boulder, Golden, Longmont, and Colorado Springs to Denver.

Most of those extensions have already been approved, with several already under construction.

The I-225 addition is expected to cost around $350 million, but most consider it well worth the cost.

Some though worry about the planned route of the rail, which between Mississippi and 6th would leave the 225 to reach Aurora City Center.

On July 24, Aurora City Council will vote on which company's proposal to select as the official builders of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment